Deadline: April 30th, 2020
Topic: We are looking for short stories about romances that take place in virtual reality. You can potentially move the romance beyond the VR Space. We are leaving this prompt fairly loose so you can decide what sort of VR you would like your story to take place in, what sort of technology it uses, and how your characters are both in and out of the virtual space. Since we’re dealing with virtual bodies, there is no limit on non-human characters in the virtual space.
We are not really looking for stories where the story hinges on a “twist” that one character is not who they present themselves as in VR. We’re also not looking for a lot of political commentary about technology distancing ourselves from each other.
Additional (Optional) Prompts:
- Romantic partners trying a new VR game together – or a game that only one partner has experience with.
- Is this a VR game that intentionally has sex mechanics? Or are the characters finding creative ways to bang?
- A Virtual Reality Dating App, where you can safely go on dates with real people in a virtual space.
- What’s the outside world like? Is it so damaged that VR is the safest way to interact with people outside of your area?
- An NPC growing self-aware and falling for a Player Character.
- Two characters dating in VR and meeting in the real world for the first time.